Moss growth on roofs can be a common problem, particularly in areas with a cool and damp climate. Over time, moss can damage the integrity of the roof and lead to costly repairs if left untreated. Removing moss from the roof is essential for its maintenance and longevity. However, choosing the best time of year to remove moss from the roof can significantly impact the effectiveness of your efforts.
Why Is Moss a Problem for Your Roof
Moss is an invasive plant that thrives in moist, shady environments. It can cause several problems when it grows on your roof. Moss can cause water damage to your roof by trapping moisture on its surface. This can cause your roof to weaken and lose its structural integrity. The moss also creates a slippery surface, making it dangerous to walk. The moss on your roof can make it unsafe to climb up there for repairs or maintenance. Lastly, moss is unsightly and can detract from your home’s curb appeal.
When Is the Best Time of Year to Remove Moss From Roofs?
Summer is the best time to remove the moss on your roof. The weather is dryer, and the moss is inactive. The moss is more brittle during the summer, which makes it easier to remove with a broom or by using a mild pressure wash.
One school of thought says you should wait for the “growing season,” when rains begin to fall in the autumn and continue into the spring. This is because the moss will absorb as much water as possible during this period. If you apply moss treatments to your roof during this time, they will be absorbed along with the water.
The best time to remove the moss on your roof will depend on how severe the growth is and what type of roofing you have. Consult a roofing contractor such as Old Time Roofing if you are still determining the best time to remove your roof’s moss.
Remove Moss From Your Roof Using These Options
You have several options to remove moss on your roof.
If it is not too steep, you can use a broom to remove moss from your roof. Sweep the moss from the roof, starting at the top. It would be best to be not aggressive as this could damage the shingles and remove protective granules.
A pressure washer is another option to remove moss. Be careful not to use too much pressure as it can damage your roof.
You can apply chemical treatments to your roof to eliminate moss. Some products are available in containers connected to a garden hose. They can then be sprayed at ground level with enough water pressure. Some products will need to be mixed up and applied on the roof.
Use caution, regardless of which method you choose when removing the moss on your roof. Consult a roofing contractor such as Old Time Roofing if you need help eliminating moss safely.
Keep your roof in top shape by calling us at 727-390-0717
Roof Moss Removal: Safety is Paramount
Safety should always be your first priority when removing moss on your roof. Take the proper precautions if you are doing the job yourself to avoid accidents and falls. Here are some safety tips to keep you safe when removing roof moss:
- Wear footwear that has good traction.
- Use a sturdy ladder and secure the ladder to your roof.
- Avoid working on your roof if it is windy or wet.
- Use safety equipment such as a fall protection system or safety harness.
- Hire a professional roofer like Old Time Roofing.
What Is the Cost of Removing Moss?
The cost of removing moss on a roof depends on several factors. Prices can be affected by the size of the top and the severity of moss growth. The cost of removing moss can vary from $0.20–$0.70 per square foot. To get an accurate estimate, having a roofing contractor give you a professional estimation is best.
Regular maintenance and preventative actions can save you money over time. You can save money in the long run by regularly cleaning your roof and taking measures to prevent moss. Old Time Roofing is one of the roofing companies that offer free estimates. Our team can also provide advice on what you should do.
Maintenance of Your Roof’s Health
Maintaining your roof’s health is crucial to prevent future growth. Here are some tips on how to maintain the health of your roof:
- Trim Trees: Trees that hang over your roof provide an environment where moss can thrive. By trimming back these trees, you can reduce the shade on your roof. This will also prevent moss from growing.
- Regular Cleaning: Regular cleaning of your roof will help prevent moss growth. Old Time Roofing provides a range of roof cleaning services, including soft wash cleaning and moss removal, to maintain the health of your roof.
- Proper Ventilation: Proper ventilation is essential to maintain the health of your roof. Well-ventilated roofing allows moisture to escape and prevents it from building up and becoming a breeding place for moss or other organisms.
How Long Will Moss Removal Take?
Depending on the climate and methods, moss removal may last several years. Keep in mind these key points:
- Physical removal and chemical treatment can produce long-lasting results when combined with other preventive measures, such as regular roof cleaning or installing zinc or copper strips.
- Moss can grow more quickly in areas of high humidity and shade. It is essential to maintain your roof regularly and monitor it.
Follow the tips in this blog to ensure your roof remains moss free all year. The key is to prevent moss from growing and causing damage proactively.
Schedule a FREE Estimate
Contact a professional roofer like Old Time Roofing if you are still determining the best time of year to remove moss from your roof. Our expertise and experience will help you maintain your roof and prolong its life. Visit our website for more information on how we can treat your roof to remove moss. You can also schedule a FREE consultation.
Other Services We Offer
Old Time Roofing is a dedicated team of experts that can help you with the following:
Roofing materials that we work with:
Refrain from entrusting your roofing needs to just anyone. With Old Time Roofing, you can rest easy knowing that your roof is in capable hands. Contact us today!