A Old Time Roofing

What Goes Into GAF Master Elite® Certification?

Prepare Your Home for 2023 Hurricane Season

2023 Hurricane Season

The 2023 hurricane season begins on June 1st and ends on November 30th. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) predicts a 40% probability of a near-normal hurricane season, a 30% probability of an above-normal season, and a 30% probability of a below-normal season. NOAA expects a total of 12-17 named hurricanes and storms.

Are you prepared for the 2023 hurricane season?

2023 Hurricane season can be challenging for homeowners, especially those residing in coastal regions or areas prone to tropical cyclones. To minimize the potential damage caused by powerful weather events, it is essential to be well-prepared. Follow these steps to protect your home, possessions, and most importantly, the lives of your loved ones.

Stay informed and Alert:

Stay updated on weather conditions, particularly during the peak of the hurricane season. Subscribe to local alerts from reputable sources, such as your regional meteorological office or the National Weather Service. Be alert and pay attention to evacuation orders and other important information provided by local authorities.

Secure outdoor loose structures and objects in your surroundings:

It is crucial to secure all structures that may be susceptible to strong winds during a storm. Bring inside any items that can fit in your home and cover or tie down everything else. Trim trees and remove dead branches from your property.

Reinforce windows and doors:

Consider installing hurricane-resistant or storm shutters if you have the means to do so. These measures will protect your home from high winds and flying debris. If these options are not feasible, use plywood to cover windows and doors. Ensure that all windows and doors are properly sealed to prevent flooding.

Keep your roof in top shape by calling us at 727-390-0717

Check your roof and gutters:

Inspect your roof for loose or damaged shingles and ensure that the flashings are secure. Regularly clean out your gutters and downspouts to prevent water accumulation, which can cause structural damage and leaks.

Prepare for the worst:

Preparing for the worst is always a wise decision. Stock up on non-perishable food and clean water. Make sure you have an ample supply of medication for at least a week. Keep a first-aid kit easily accessible. Have batteries and flashlights on hand in case of power outages.

Check evacuation zones:

Familiarize yourself with the evacuation zones in your area and follow the instructions provided. If you are in an evacuation zone, take appropriate action as advised.

Develop an emergency communication plan:

Establish a communication plan with your family members or household members. Determine a designated meeting place in case you are separated during an evacuation. Ensure everyone has important contact information, including phone numbers of family members, friends, and emergency services. Also, consider exchanging contact details with a trusted neighbor who can assist each other in case of an emergency.

2023 Hurricane Season

Keep your roof in top shape by calling us at 727-390-0717

Create a home inventory:

Document your valuable possessions by creating a comprehensive inventory. Take photographs or videos of your belongings, noting their descriptions, estimated values, and purchase dates. This inventory will be invaluable for insurance claims in the event of any damage or loss during a hurricane. Store this information in a secure, waterproof location or save it digitally in the cloud for easy access.

Safeguard important documents:

2023 Hurricane season can be challenging that why you must gather and protect essential documents, such as birth certificates, passports, insurance policies, medical records, and property deeds. Place them in a waterproof and fireproof container or store digital copies securely. Consider keeping a copy of these documents with a trusted relative or friend who resides in a different location.

Create an emergency supply kit:

Prepare an emergency supply kit that includes essential items to sustain you and your family during and after a hurricane. This kit should contain non-perishable food items, drinking water, a manual can opener, a first-aid kit, prescription medications, personal hygiene products, batteries, a battery-powered or hand-crank radio, a flashlight, and a portable phone charger. Remember to periodically check and replenish the supplies to ensure their freshness and usability.

Secure large outdoor objects:

Apart from securing loose structures and objects, take additional steps to secure large outdoor items like patio furniture, grills, and trash cans. If possible, bring these items inside your home or store them in a secure garage or storage shed. If bringing them inside is not feasible, use strong tie-downs or anchor them to prevent them from becoming projectiles during high winds.

Consider flood insurance:

Evaluate your insurance coverage and determine if you need additional flood insurance. Standard homeowners’ insurance policies often do not cover flood-related damages. Contact your insurance provider to discuss your options and ensure that you have adequate coverage for potential flood damage.

Practice generator safety:

If you plan to use a generator during power outages, prioritize safety. Generators should be placed outdoors in a well-ventilated area, away from doors, windows, and vents. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions regarding fuel usage, maintenance, and electrical connections. Never run a generator inside your home or garage, as it can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Plan for pet safety:

If you have pets, include them in your 2023 hurricane season preparedness plans. Ensure you have enough food, water, medications, and comfort items for them. Locate pet-friendly shelters or make arrangements with a trusted friend or relative who can accommodate your pets during an evacuation. Keep their identification tags and vaccination records up to date, and have a sturdy leash or carrier readily available.

2023 Hurricane Season

Keep your roof in top shape by calling us at 727-390-0717

Stay informed about evacuation routes:

Stay updated on evacuation routes and familiarize yourself with the evacuation procedures in your area. Know the designated shelters and make note of any special requirements, such as the need to bring bedding, food, or medications. Stay tuned to local authorities and follow their instructions for a safe evacuation if required.

In conclusion:

Being prepared for the hurricane season will help safeguard your family and home. By following these simple steps, you can reduce the risks and damage associated with hurricanes. Stay informed, create a comprehensive emergency plan, secure your home, and stock essential supplies. Prioritize safety during severe weather conditions.

Request Your FREE Quote

Protect your home and loved ones from the unpredictable storms of the upcoming hurricane season. As experts in roofing and home protection, Old Time Roofing is here to help you fortify your property against the elements. Don’t wait until it’s too late! Contact us today to schedule a consultation and fortify your home against the 2023 hurricane season. Together, let’s keep your family and property safe.

Get a free quote and consultation by calling us today or visiting our website to learn more about how you prepare your roof in this 2023 hurricane season. Act now and experience peace of mind with Old Time Roofing the best roofers in Clearwater, Florida!

Other Services We Offer

Old Time Roofing is a dedicated team of experts that can help you with the following:

Roofing materials that we work with:

Refrain from entrusting your roofing needs to just anyone. With Old Time Roofing, you can rest easy knowing that your roof is in capable hands. Contact us today!

Keep your roof in top shape by calling us at 727-390-0717